St. Louis Marie de Montfort

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

1673 — 1716

Apostolic Missionary, Founder of the Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel, Company of Mary, and Daughters of Wisdom

“God alone! God alone! God alone! That is my only treasure, and in Him alone I place all my trust.”

— St. Louis Marie de Montfort

The Life of Our Founder

A journey of faith, poverty, and total devotion to God and the Blessed Virgin Mary

Childhood of Louis de Montfort
1

Childhood (1673–1684)

Louis was born on 31st January 1673 to John Baptist Grignion and Jeanne Robert in Montfort-sur-Meu in Brittany, France. He was baptized the following day. From 1673–1675, he stayed with Mother Andrea, a wet nurse. On 16th July 1675, his father purchased property known as Bois-Marquer in the parish of Iffendie, near Montfort, where the family relocated.

Louis spent ten years on this farm among eighteen children, of whom ten survived beyond age ten. He was the eldest. Three sons including Louis became priests; two daughters became nuns. His mother Jeanne taught him prayers while his father John taught him the three Rs. Louis proved an excellent elder brother, coaching his siblings in studies. Devoted to the Blessed Virgin Mary, he frequently took his sister Guyonne aside to recite the Rosary together.

Louis as a Student in Rennes
2

As a Student (1684–1692)

Towards the end of 1684, Louis joined St. Thomas Becket College in Rennes, operated by Jesuits. During his first year, he stayed with his maternal uncle, Fr. Alain Robert, at the Church of St. Saviour, which housed an ancient statue of Our Lady of Miracles. He prayed frequently before this statue.

When his brothers required higher education, the Grignion family moved to Rennes in 1685, and Louis began living with his parents. He excelled academically, standing first in his class. John Baptist Blain and Claude Poullart des Places became his friends.

One incident demonstrated his character: witnessing a poor student mocked for torn clothes, Louis collected funds from classmates and had new garments made for him. He possessed strong physical health and artistic talent, showing aptitude for sculpture and painting. His Marian devotion led him to join the Sodality. Between ages sixteen and eighteen, he experienced profound spiritual awakening and felt called to priesthood. After completing philosophy, he began theology studies in 1692.

Seminarian in Paris
3

Seminarian in Paris (1693–1695)

Miss de Montigny from Sulpice parish in Paris visited the Grignion home seeking legal assistance from Mr. John. Upon returning to Paris, she arranged Louis’s admission to St. Sulpice Seminary through a wealthy benefactress. Louis chose to walk the entire 365 kilometers from Rennes to Paris. His father provided money and his mother new clothing.

After crossing Cesson Bridge, Louis knelt and vowed never to possess anything. He gave his money to a beggar and exchanged his new clothes for an old beggar’s worn garments, trusting God entirely.

Louis arrived in Paris exhausted and was admitted to Fr. Barmondiere’s Community, a hostel for poor seminarians, while following theology courses at the renowned Sorbonne University. During winter 1693–94, his director permitted Louis to beg and earn money by watching over corpses. As winter 1694 arrived, Louis became severely ill and was admitted to the General Hospital, near death. He miraculously recovered.

At St. Sulpice Paris
4

At St. Sulpice, Paris (1695–1700)

Louis appeared singular among seminarians, dedicating extensive time to prayer, penance, and solitude. Uncertain of his genuineness, spiritual guides tested him. Louis selected Fr. Leschassier, Superior of the Great Seminary, as his spiritual director who restricted his prayer and penance practices, but Louis remained obedient.

To distract Louis from excessive recollectedness, superiors appointed him Seminary Librarian. He utilized this position reading extensively, particularly books on Mary, Scripture, and spirituality. He was additionally appointed Master of Ceremonies and taught catechism to children using simple stories, becoming an expert catechist. Desiring to preach especially to the poor, he prepared sermon notes and composed numerous hymns.

During summer 1699, Louis and another seminarian made pilgrimage to Our Lady of Chartres. On 5th June 1700, he was ordained priest, celebrating his first mass at the altar of Our Lady in St. Sulpice church.

Montfort in Paris
5

Montfort in Paris (1703)

During spring 1703, facing problems at the Poorhouse, Montfort came to Paris. He joined the General Hospital of Salpetrière as volunteer priest serving approximately 5,000 poor people. Other priests disliked his methods, forcing his departure. St. Sulpice parish friends did not welcome him.

Finally, he found shelter beneath a dilapidated building staircase on Pot-de-Fer Street near the Jesuit novitiate. He spent most days and nights in prayer, yearning for union with divine Wisdom. His primary study text was Scripture, especially Old Testament Wisdom books. Friend Fr. Claude Poullart des Places invited him to conference at the Holy Spirit Seminary. Montfort collected these conference themes and authored his first book, “The Love of Eternal Wisdom.”

Audience with the Pope
6

Audience with the Pope (1706)

Montfort undertook a walking journey to Rome from Poitiers. He had audience with Pope Clement XI on 6th June 1706. The pope instructed him to preach in France itself, conferring the title “Apostolic Missionary.”

Montfort returned to Poitiers, where the Bishop commanded him to leave within 24 hours. With Brother Mathurin, he made pilgrimage to Our Lady of Ardilliers in Saumur and Mount St. Michael. While with missionaries in Dinan, Montfort discovered a leper one evening. He carried him on his shoulders to the Missionaries’ House, knocked the door, and cried out “Open to Jesus Christ.” He took the poor man inside and gave him his bed.

In the Diocese of Nantes
7

In the Diocese of Nantes (1707–1709)

Montfort organized missions assisted by others, effectively speaking the ordinary people’s language. He employed visual aids including statues, paintings, and banners, organizing impressive processions and using his own hymns. Missions concluded with solemn baptismal vow renewals and consecration to Jesus through Mary, typically blessed by a constructed Calvary.

In 1709, Montfort preached at Campbon, where he re-floored the church after removing tombstones and removed the Duke’s crest. The property’s Duke, displeased, awaited revenge opportunity.

8

The Calvary of Pontchateau (1709–1711)

In May 1709, Montfort preached at Pontchateau. After consulting local priests, he announced his desire to build a large Calvary there. Obtaining necessary permissions from the Duke, he prepared detailed plans. Neighboring parishioners provided free labor. Montfort solicited food from villages, feeding the workers.

However, Pontchateau’s Steward complained to the King that the Calvary could shelter enemies during warfare. An inquiry followed; the king ordered the Calvary’s destruction. The solemn blessing was scheduled for 14th September 1710. The previous evening, a Nantes priest delivered a Bishop’s message forbidding the blessing.

Montfort walked to Nantes meeting the Bishop unsuccessfully, returning to convey the sad news, console people, and resign himself to this tragedy. Subsequently, the Bishop forbade him from preaching in Nantes diocese. Mrs. Oliver offered Montfort a small house in Cour Cathuit, Nantes. He established a hospital for incurable patients there.

9

Free Schools in La Rochelle (1714–1715)

During the first half of 1714, Montfort met the La Rochelle Bishop repeatedly regarding free school establishment. He repaired a building housing a Free School for Boys admitting only the poor. The staff included a priest-director and three lay teachers dressed in black short cassocks. Instruction covered reading, writing, arithmetic, and catechism.

In 1714, Montfort wrote Srs. Marie Louise and Catherine requesting their relocation to La Rochelle. After considerable difficulties, they reached La Rochelle on 28th March 1715. Montfort established a Free School for Girls, entrusting it to the Sisters. This was the beginning of what would become the educational mission of the Montfortian congregations.

Last Mission and Death
10

The Last Mission & Death (1716)

The mission at St. Laurent-sur-Sèvre commenced 5th April. Bishop Champflour visited on 22nd April, receiving grand reception. Montfort contracted acute pleurisy, and following a sermon, he went to bed permanently.

On 27th April, he dictated his Will to Fr. Mulot. The evening of 28th April, numerous visitors came; Montfort blessed and consoled them. He died at 8:00 PM on 28th April 1716, with funeral services the following day attended by 10,000 people. His body was buried in the Blessed Virgin’s chapel within St. Laurent-sur-Sèvre parish church.

The Montfortian Legacy

Three congregations founded by St. Louis Marie de Montfort continue his mission worldwide

Montfortian Congregations

The saint’s birthplace and tomb are now “Montfortian pilgrimage” sites hosting approximately 25,000 visitors yearly. His birthplace, at No. 15 Rue de la Saulnerie in Montfort-sur-Meu, is jointly owned by three Montfortian congregations he founded.

The Basilica of Saint Louis de Montfort at Saint-Laurent-Sur-Sèvre is an impressive structure attracting numerous pilgrims annually. The congregations he established expanded first throughout France, then worldwide, continuing his mission of education, care for the poor, and devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Company of Mary

Also known as the Montfort Missionaries (S.M.M.), founded to preach parish missions and spread devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary across the world.

Daughters of Wisdom

Co-founded with Blessed Marie Louise Trichet, dedicated to serving the poor, the sick, and education, embodying Divine Wisdom in their apostolate.

Brothers of St. Gabriel

Consecrated Brothers devoted to education of youth, especially the poor, present in over 30 countries with schools, technical institutes, and special education centres.

Key Dates

31 Jan 1673
Born in Montfort-sur-Meu, France
5 Jun 1700
Ordained Priest
6 Jun 1706
Audience with Pope Clement XI
1714–1715
Founded Free Schools
28 Apr 1716
Died at St. Laurent-sur-Sèvre
20 Jul 1947
Canonized by Pope Pius XII